What is MUMT?
MUMT stands for Multi-User, Multi-Touch. The multi-touch Aura interface found on Lenovo’s 10-finger multi-touch machines use Windows 8 or Windows 10 SDKs to recognize up to 10 simultaneous points of contact directly on a screen or touchpad. Users can perform an array of actions with their fingers such as swipes, pinch-and-zoom, and rotations. A larger display or pad supports multiple users simultaneously, making togetherness more interactive than ever.
The Basics & Getting Started
Remember, to be eligible for prizes, submissions must include multi-user or multi-touch (MUMT) technology via the use of Windows 8 or Windows 10 SDKs to build a new Windows Desktop or Windows Universal App Platform (UAP) app for Lenovo YOGA Home PCs, or update your existing app to include MUMT features.
Per Lenovo’s Security Criteria, submitted applications should not:
- Include any malware or spyware
- Facilitate the spread of malware; additionally the submitter's website cannot be or have been engaged in the distribution of malware
- Install any non-core products not disclosed to the user
- Deceptively warn the user that uninstalling the application will have any adverse effect
Additional Requirements for Windows Desktop Apps:
- Windows Desktop apps must be provided at no charge for the testing and judging periods via an uploaded EXE file included on your submission form.
Additional Requirements for Windows Universal App Platform (UAP) Apps:
- UAP apps must be submitted to the Microsoft Store prior to the Submission Deadline (they do not need to be publicly available on the store). Find out how to get your FREE Microsoft Store Developer Account here.
- UAP apps must be provided at no charge for the testing and judging periods via a DeepLink from the Microsoft Store to be on your submission form.
Umm… what is a Windows Universal App Platform App?
Simply put, a Windows Universal App Platform App (or UAP app) is an application built on Microsoft’s new single Windows OS that can run across every type of Windows device running Windows 10.
On May 3, 2016 we held online Office Hours which included a demo of how to code MUMT features using the Windows 10 SDK. You can watch the full recording, take a closer look at the posted resources, and get access to the code samples on GitHub.
Windows 8 & 8.1
Intel Code Samples
Touch design guidelines for user interaction
Get started developing Windows 10 games
Universal app samples
Windows 7 (for reference)
Windows Touch Samples
Detecting and Tracking Multiple Touch Points
The Marmalade SDK is a high-performance engine that allows you to use a 2D or 3D workflow, code in C++ or Lua, and add content from the Marmalade Asset Store. Comes with an emulator, also known as Marmalade Simulator which allows you to target the platforms that matter to you. Marmalade SDK supports desktop apps, universal store apps, and many more.
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- And many more
The Unity 3D engine has been around for a while and has a large user base. Supports many platforms.
Gesture Works can be used to extend an existing application with multi touch functionality and integrate it with your application. Includes library of over 300 pre-built gestures and markup language for multi-touch. GestureWorks can be used with C++, .NET, Java and Python, allowing you to develop in the language of your choice. Various examples are available to use GestureWorks Core with Cinder, open Frameworks, Unity 3D and Java 2D.
Additional Resource Links
We know everybody needs a little boost now and then. Below are a few links to help guide your development.
- Windows 10 desktop app emulator documentation
- Sendosr Emulation Guide for YOGA Home PC
- Why Partner with Lenovo
- MUMT Technology Page
- Windows Dev Center and Documentation
- Windows 10 Touch Interface Documentation
- Windows Code Samples
- Windows Developer Support
- How to port your Windows Phone Silverlight, Windows Runtime 8.x, Visual Studio 2015 RC project, or iOS app to Windows 10
- Windows 10 Bridge for Android (Limited Access)
- How to add an app to the Microsoft Store
- How to set up beta testing on Microsoft Store
- Find out how to get your FREE Microsoft Store Developer Account here.
Optional Resource: BrainCert Virtual Classroom API for educational apps
Integrate BrainCert’s Virtual Classroom API into your website, CMS, LMS, or app to deliver live classes, meetings, webinars, and conferences to an audience anywhere. The free plan supports two connections (1 instructor + 1 attendee) with a maximum duration of 30 minutes per session. Throughout the competition, use code Devpost-Promo20 for a 20% discount on all BrainCert platform services and products, including upgraded API usage.
Testing & Technical Help
Testing - If you don’t have access to a Lenovo YOGA Home PC to test your application, you can complete your testing using Microsoft’s Visual Studio Community Edition. Microsoft's Visual Studio Community 2015 is a free, fully-featured, and extensible IDE for creating modern applications for Windows, Android, and iOS, as well as web applications and cloud services. For a quick intro - we recommend reviewing this intro video and this tutorial.
Do you have questions about implementing MUMT Technology into your app? Ask your technical questions on Lenovo’s Peer Developer forum. There you can communicate with other Lenovo developers, as well as Lenovo Dev Tech Experts like Jonas Hendrickx.
MUMT App Examples
Want to see what developers are already building with MUMT?
- AWEsum Friendzy
- Stagelight Music Creation Software (Watch the demo video)
- Paint Your Music
- Casino Touch
- Hot Shots
- Wormhole Pinball